Sunday, September 25, 2011

Social Networking

Social networking sites such as Twitter, blogs, Facebook, Ning, and MySpace are popular in today’s society.  So why not use these popular sights as a tool to communicate for educational purposes?  There are endless reasons social networking can be a positive tool in and out of the classroom for children.  Schools across the globe are effectively using these sights as a way to enhance education.  For instance, in the article on Edweek.org, “Social Networking Goes to School,” it discusses the possibility of talking to other students around the world to gain knowledge on topics they are studying.  When a group of students were reading a book on whales, students in Canada sent a short video of the whales in their actual habitat.  Schools are finding ways to also use Twitter, Facebook, and blogs to enhance learning.  When students have a question, they have a website to go to.  They can post their questions and other students or teachers can provide answers immediately.  Social networking is a great tool to foster 21st century learning skills.

As an educator, social networking is a must use tool as well. For example, today I was trying to create math centers for my students.  I searched websites; however, it was time consuming and I didn’t come out with a lot of ideas.  Joining educational groups on Facebook, Twitter, or blogs, I could have immediately asked for math center ideas.  I will never be a teacher who feels that I know everything there is to teaching.  I love the idea of networking because I can share my teaching practices, as well as receive ideas from people not only in my school but around the world.  Social networks are a great way to gain professional development.

1 comment:

  1. Social networking is allowing our society to reach out and stay in touch with people from all over the globe. Students are able to see and hear from other cultures easily via social networking. We do have to be careful with bullying and stalking, but the good outweighs the bad if you are careful.
    I love the forums out there for everything. You can get a question answered very quickly!

    ReplyDelete