Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Mobile Learning Lab

The first tool I explored was how to use a cell phone in the classroom.  I read the article called, 25 Practical Reasons for Using a Cell Phone.  To be honest, I am not a strong advocate for the use of cell phones in my fifth grade classroom.  First, not every students has a cell phone.  Also, I know how easy it is to use a cell phone to do other functions (text, check email, go on twitter, facebook, etc.)   However, I think the use of cell phones for upper elementary students would be effective to use as a homework assignment that kids could complete at night.  After setting up a poll from Poll Everywhere I realized what a great tool it is.  Here is an example of a question I created- Poll Everywhere.  Ultimately, I believe a cell phone in fifth grade could be beneficial using at home for a question of the day.     

I am a strong advocate for iPads in the classroom.  Although they are similar to cell phones where students can be off task, I think it would be easier to manage iPads with students.  For example, I looked up a variety of apps for elementary students.  A few apps in particular stood out to me.  First, miTables Lite is a free app for children to practice their multiplication facts.  This would be a great tool for students to review multiplication the first few weeks of fifth grade.  Whether you believe it or not, knowing your multiplication facts quickly and fluently will benefit your students for their entire lives.  Another app I found was for science called Molecules.  This free app gives three-dimensional depictions of molecules.  This would be a great hands on tool to help students understand an abstract concept such as matter and molecules.    

Another mobile device I would love in my classroom would be flip cameras.  In Using Flip Cameras in the Classroom, many practical educational and fun learning ideas were presented.  For example, in math students could talk through the steps in solving a particular math problem.  In reading, students could act out a scene from a book, record a book talk, or narrate a story.  Students could act out a scene from the past acting like historical characters for social studies.  The positive aspect of a flip camera is that you do not need a classroom set.  One per three or four children would be ideal.  

As I am learning about all the ways to incorporate technology into the classroom, it tends to leave me bittersweet.  As great as all these ideas and tools are, it does come down to funding in the classroom.  I would love flip cameras, iPods, and iPads in the classroom; however, unfortunately most school budgets do not allow for that much technology.  Even having my students use the computers is difficult enough because our school library is not available for half of the day and there are not enough computers for each students.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your comments about 5th grade being too young for cell phones. However, could the iPod touch be a good alternative (with WiFi)?

    Wouldn't it be wonderful if funding were not an issue? Think of all the possibilities... :)

    ReplyDelete