Monday, February 13, 2012

Part C- Implimentation

Podcast

Screencast of Humpty Dumpty Math Fraction Review

Screencast of Decimal Race

Here is the text in written form:

The educational need I am in the process of addressing in my Wicked Project is how to use math games to get students engaged in their learning.  So far, I have had the opportunity to implement math centers numerous times in the past month, as well as use my newest and greatest classroom addition, the SMARTboard.

During centers, I have witnessed student engagement increase compared to daily work without games or the use of the SMARTboard.   On a daily basis, I have been pleasantly surprised when I ask math questions because almost 100% of my kids hands go up.  They all want the opportunity to show their work on the SMARTboard.     

There are some changes I would make though through the use of math games and SMARTboard lessons.  First, not all the lessons I have chosen on the SMARTboard have been as interactive as I would like.  Also, only one student is able to write on the board at a time.  This causes a long wait time and students grow more disinterested in the task at hand.  For example, I did a SMARTboard lesson on reviewing fractions.  Although it was a great lesson, it was time consuming for each child to come up and solve a problem.  I saw some students bored, while others only were interested in getting called on and not watching the work being done.  

However there has been a lot that has went well so far.  I found a decimal race game where students are trying to get the highest decimal.  They roll a dice and write down the digit in one of the decimal place values.  As I watched students from afar, they were very energetic about the game and for the students who forgot place value of decimals, it was a way to recall their past knowledge.  Also,  I allow students to choose the computer math game they want to play based on three or four choices I provide.  This way they are engaged more because they have a say.   I have tried it where I give students one game and they get bored easily with this. 

4 comments:

  1. This is very reflective. Just a few notes, I think there is a function on the SMARTboard that you can activate 2 pens to use with the board. You could also have them work on white boards at the same time, and must have it 100% correct before going up to the board, if your hope is to review and not reteach. There are also votes that you can get to engage more students in the board, so that you can use it for assessing as well. Have you used the online math manipulatives with the SMARTboard, those are great materials and very great visuals for the kids. Have you taken these activities out of centers? You could use the SMARTboard for small group while students are in other math game centers, or independent work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent podcast.

    I have also experienced a similar problem with student "wait time." Although we would like to say, "its worth the wait," unfortunately valuable class time is lost while waiting for students to complete. We feel the need to let every student have a chance because it is "fair."

    Choices are always a great idea for engagement and ownership.

    I appreciate the inclusion of the screencasts...nice touch.

    If Linnea is correct about two pens working at once...that'd be great! I'm going to look into that!

    I hope that you continue to find success, and that you are able to tweak as appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting results. I too have a SmartBoard, and I have encountered the same problem: one student writes while the others sit. It is obviously more engaging than instruction that does not use the SmartBoard, but, there are still some problems. I am interesting in checking out the 2 pens method that Linnea mentioned in the above comment, if that works it could help. I do know that if you pick up a marker anthing that touches the board will write in the color of that marker. So, I sometimes have groups go to the board, and as long as they don't try to write simultaneously, they can all record their results. It seems to break the time needed down, and allows more kids the chance to participate. You have had some very interesting results and I look forward to what you find next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that wait time can be an issue in any lesson. Like you said using the SMARTboard is a lot more engaging than the typical lesson and you get a lot more participation. This can also be an issue because you want to be fair and let everyone have a turn on the SMARTboard, but there is not always time for this. When allowing students to participate without using a SMARTboard students are not as disappointed if they do not get a turn, when you have a SMARTboard this is very disappointing. If you are able to use the 2 pens at once that would solve some of this issue. I also think it is a great idea to have the other students use a whiteboard to keep them engaged. Most students really enjoy using these as well. I look forward to hearing more of your success.

    ReplyDelete