Friday, February 24, 2012

Wicked Project Part D

My project and plan of using math games to engage and effectively teach students did get implemented as planned.  I noted every time we did math centers or used the SMARTboard for interactive learning, overall student enthusiasm increased.  Even though I know the SMARTboard is new in our classroom and students are excited to discover it, a majority of hands raised when they got the opportunity to complete a math problem on the board.  Although I would have liked to implement math centers a bit more, I got enough results to analyze.

After completing math centers or working on the SMARTboard, I have a quick discussion with my students on the positives and negatives of each technology used.  This is a great way for me to gauge student interest in particular math games and to realize what did not work well.  For example, my fifth graders just began adding and subtracting fractions with unlike denominators.  For CEP 820, I am in the process of creating a unit on this concept.  I gave students the opportunity to play any of the games listed on my website Fraction Fun Website.  I discovered very quickly the games that were very popular (Fruit Shoot Fraction, Head to Paradise, Battleship Math) and the game that was not as action packed and popular (Math Playground).  I also found out that the online board game from Math-Play Board Game does not change its problems so this would be more effective as a SMARTboard activity where students would rotate through this station instead of play it over and over.

Also on my website, I created a Google Form that became a quick way for me to see if students were actually retaining knowledge on fractions after playing games.    My results were very positive, meaning that most students were understanding how to add and subtract fractions with unlike denominators.  This short tool became a perfect way to quickly assess their knowledge.  I can’t say enough about what Google has to offer.

Given a chance to redo this, I may be more successful now because I already had student feedback on what worked well and did not work as well.  In this way, I can now provide the tools that were the most effective and fun to my students without having them sort through non-effective games first.  I definitely learned how important it is to get student feedback in their learning.  This allows each child to take ownership in their education.  However, I also have to remember that all students learn differently and what interests one may not interest another.  Therefore, I will continue to search for a variety of online games to provide to the ever-changing learner.
 
This project allowed me to gain insight into effective teaching strategies for math and will be utilized in the future. 

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like this turned out great! I love that you took it further than just increasing your use of the Smartboard with math games. I'm really glad that you conferenced with students to see their interest and make sure that it was engaging but information. It is also very tech savvy that you created a google form as a formative assessment. Student feedback is so important, as teachers we may think it is the best idea and so great, but if it isn't helping them then it isn't worth the effort. Your emphasis on feedback is great to see! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. From the sounds of it, your project was successfully implemented, and that you have a firm foundation to continue building. I couldn't agree more about Google. It is amazing how much Google has adapted to become a huge educational resource...and for free!

    Keep up the great work! I'm glad that you had a good reason to actively use your SMARTboard immediately. :) I look forward to seeing your final product...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is great that you were so successful with your project! I like that you had a discussion with your students about the games and which ones were better than others. It is always important to receive feedback from your students because if it is not working you need to know. It will allow you to get rid of the games that were not as popular and look for other games. I also like that you created a google form to see if students were learning the information. Based on your results, it sounds like your project made math more engaging and effective through the use of math games. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the use of Google Forms to receive instant feedback. It can be difficult to get good feedback from students, as many of them will tell you what they think you want to hear, but I think Google Forms can help solve this problem. I also appreciate the fact that you were able to sort out the effective SMARTboard programs. My students are starting a unit on adding and subtracting fractions next week, and I will have to check out those sites that worked for you. Great job!

    ReplyDelete